High risk auto insurance is a type of insurance for drivers who’ve been turned down by insurance companies due to various risk factors. Needing to get high risk insurance doesn’t mean you’re a bad driver or that you can’t get insurance. The Department of Transportation (DOT) specifies that you must “purchase and maintain auto insurance to legally drive in Pennsylvania.” If you need to get auto insurance that’s affordable for high risk drivers, Glacier Insurance can help.
What factors can make a driver high risk?
According to the Insurance Information Institute, you can be a high risk driver if you’ve got a history of collisions, traffic violations, speeding tickets, or a DUI/DWI conviction. Most people know that having a DUI makes you a high risk driver, but you could be surprised about some of the other reasons drivers can be classified as “high risk,” including:
- You haven’t driven long enough: teen drivers are new behind the wheel and often classified as “high risk.”
- You have a gap in insurance (lapses) or haven’t paid your premiums.
- You live in an area with a high amount of auto theft and damage.
- You own a high performance car or a custom or classic car.
- You have a bad credit rating. This cause of being “high risk” comes as a shock to many drivers. Wallet Hub’s survey of car insurance in different states showed that in 2018, Pennsylvania drivers with poor credit or no credit paid an average of 89% more in auto insurance premiums than drivers with good credit.
How can you lower your high risk auto insurance costs?
You can do a lot to help yourself if you’ve been denied auto insurance or you’ve been told that you qualify as a high risk driver. First, you can take a defensive driving course. Courses are available for teens and older drivers in Pennsylvania.
You can also obey traffic laws and drive safely. If you know you haven’t paid attention to your speed in the past or you made a mistake and either didn’t see or misread a speed limit sign, download a phone app that tells you the speed limit wherever you’re driving and obey the instructions. There are a lot of safe driving apps available that operate hands-free.
You should also buy a safe car and make sure your car is protected against auto theft and vandalism.
It should go without saying, but don’t drink and drive. Even more important than insurance prices is the safety of others on the road and your own safety.
Finally, if you are in a high risk auto insurance group because you’ve had credit problems, work to repair your credit.
You can also get quality and affordable or cheap auto insurance if you’re a high risk driver by clicking [this button]. Some companies specialize in providing affordable car insurance for high risk drivers, and Glacier Insurance is one of them.
What are the required coverages for high risk auto insurance in Pennsylvania?
Regardless of your risk level, Pennsylvania requires you to have required auto insurance coverage. The coverage includes:
- Medical benefits: minimum limit of $5,000
- Bodily injury liability: $15,000/$30,000 (1 person/total available per accident)
- Property damage liability: $5,000
What is an SR22?
An SR22 is a form that your insurance company fills out and submits to the state. It provides proof that you have car insurance that meets the state’s minimum liability requirements.
Pennsylvania High Risk FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
Q. An insurance company said I was high risk. Can I get high risk car insurance?
A. Yes, you can. Glacier Insurance can work with you to get affordable car insurance for high risk drivers.
Q. Is there really such a thing as cheap high risk car insurance?
A. Yes. You can find policies that are affordable to you. You can also take steps to lower your premium.
If you’re looking for high risk car insurance PA residents can afford, Glacier Insurance can help.